Sunday, June 15, 2008

T-Shirt Quilt

This t-shirt quilt is actually the reason I decided to learn how to quilt. I saw my first one when I was finishing my senior year in high school. At that point I decided to start saving t-shirts from college, which I did religiously. I took the intro course to prepare me for this and then signed up for the t-shirt quilt class at my local quilting store.


The teacher gave instructions for two-blocks and four-blocks, so you can combine multiple t-shirts into one block if they smaller images.


The towel block was a little trickier for me. I didn't want to leave the fringe showing, because I was afraid it would fray, so I had to shift the towel down, putting the detail off-center. A classmate suggested I add ribbon. I'm still working on sewing in straight lines and I found ribbon a little tricky to sew on, but I was pretty happy with the result.



I still need to add an inner and outer border, put on a backing, and quilt it. The teacher suggested quilting diagonally through each block (one large X in each block).

This style (regular grid) is one of the two ways I've seen t-shirt quilts done. The other I found at http://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/ . I have never interacted with them, so I can't vouch for them, but the website is very informative, and the pictures look pretty good.

No comments: