Sunday, June 22, 2008

Stockings

I've been meaning to make stockings for years! I found an outline for a boot online and printed it out in the size I was looking for. I cut out the front material of each half (mirror images) with about half an inch seam allowance around the entire thing. Then I layered the front with some cotton batting and some scrap material (the stars) and (machine) quilted each half separately. Then I sewed (half inch seam allowance) the two halves together (wrong sides together). I folded the material for the cuff in half and ironed it. I sewed the rough edges flush to the top of the inside of the stocking so the material could fold around it and to the outside to hide the edges.

I made a little loop for hanging for each out of the material for the body.


The red stocking is quilted in a grid, and the cuff of that stocking is quilted along the edges of the print. The blue stocking is quilted along the edges of the print, and the cuff isn't quilted, because the grid looked odd, and I couldn't come up with a different pattern to try.

I'm pretty pleased with my results!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh the stockings are fabulous!!
I'm in awe of your fine skill :)