Sunday, June 29, 2008

My first scarves

I just completed my first two scarves. The purple scarf was done on the small loom (blue) and the gray striped scarf was done on the next smallest loom (red). Both were done with only one strand of yarn. The scarves feel a little fragile, but "two-ply" makes them really heavy.
Both are about 6 feet long. It seems really long until you complete it and put it on.


The fringe is made from yarn cut in 9-10" sections. You don't have to be super precise in cutting, because the fringe becomes a little uneven just from putting it on. This part doesn't have to be perfect. The fringe from the purple scarf was made with 2 strands of yarn together, and the fringe for the striped scarf was made with 3 strands of yarn together. I would recomment 3 strands, partricularly for a wider scarf, and especially if you use 2-ply (to give balance). The pictures below will hopefully give an idea of the process.

I would suggest attaching the fringe to two strands of the scarf to give it more stability.



Place one knot of fringe every space. For the striped scarf I decided it needed striped fringe. I like the effect it gives.


Note for halloween: I think the shiny silver yarn looks like chain maille!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Erin, I didn't know you had this blog, I'm sad :(
But so happy and excited to see all the beautiful things you've made. The scarves are wonderful!!

McKenzie's going to get to wear her hat out soon!! Hooray!